There's Always a Way to Serve

This week was not like any other week. Oh wait, have I said that before? There really is no such thing as routine. Hermana Borup continues to get better at her work and I continue to find ways to be creative in my failures in the office. Remember last week I spent more than 5 ours paying the electric bill? I came back to the office to see if the amount I was refunded was correct. As it turns out they were 8500 DOP (Dominican pesos = about $180 US) short on the refund. This week I returned to the electric company with Elder Buhler who speaks Spanish. After another hour and a half the manager discovered I was right. She then told us that there was nothing she could do. In other words oh well, better luck next time! Apparently she has no way of refunding the money since it wasn't the same day. I couldn't return on the same day because by the time they finished the 5 hour marathon (a little longer than my time in a marathon by the way)  the office was closed. 

This week started off with a multi-zone activity and a large complex called the Olympic center. Is was built to hold the Pan American games. There are many sports courts that can be used by the public. All the Zones in the city (6) got together and played Basketball, Volleyball,  and soccer and then had some Hamburgers and Hotdogs. I found a local kid to give mine to. IN exchange he had to listen to my bad Spanish try to tell him about the church. I think it was a fair exchange. By the time we got to the front of the line I'm not sure he thought so. It is really fun to watch how much the Missionaries love to be together. This work is hard and the work in this country is hard. They stand shoulder to shoulder in the work and build a real bond.

All the apartments in the city have "guards" that watch over the building night and day. They clean the common areas and makes sure the right people are coming a going. We have made friends with one of our guards (Paulino). He is about our age and seems to always have a smile on his face. When hermana Borup bakes she always saves some for him. This week we invited him for dinner. We also invited the Assistants from to dinner at the same time. In the morning of our dinner Paulino asked Hermana Borup if the young missionaries were coming. When she said yes he said he didn't want a message. I told the missionaries what had happened but said there may be a language gap. With that in mind the missionaries slowly worked the church into the conversation. He went along willingly. Instead of giving a lesson I gave him a ride to where he could catch a bus home. While we were driving the Elders taught him. The plan was that if it was going well we would take him all the way home (more time to preach), if not we'd drop him off at the bus as planned. It turns out we dropped him off at the bus. Did we offend him? we talked the next day and he liked the banana bread. We'll see if he comes to dinner the next time.

Evan though our abilities are limited the Lord continues to find ways for us to contribute to the work. He has even found ways for us to serve one to one. Just this week I went with the assistants to give a blessing to a troubled sister. I started to bear my testimony of the power of the Priesthood and explained that I was just learning Spanish. The sister quickly said she knows English (very rare). She asked if I would be the one to give the blessing. I didn't follow all of the discussion about what was troubling her but said some things in the blessing that she said she needed to hear. ON another occasion I visited a newly Baptized family that was struggling. I felt impressed to talk to them about filling their void with the light of Christ. They said that was just what they needed to hear. As weak and unable as we are, we can still serve individuals. On another occasion a new Hermana Missionary was telling me how frustrating the language is for her.  I promised her that is was for every new missionary and that she could to it. I felt that little interaction gave her a little boost. 

Hermana Borup and I continue to serve in our branch. She has taken on the roll of providing dirrecion for the Primary music. Each week she prepares activities for teaching the music to the Primary. She tells me about her experience with a big smile on her face. It doesn't always go as planned but she knows she is making a difference. Today I taught the Aaronic priesthood lesson. Hte district President and the Dist Young men's President were both there. No one translated my Spanish this time and both seemed to indicate they could understand my meaning. I'm not sure my Spanish improved that much in 2 weeks but maybe my preparation did.

This week I was riding my bike home from paying the cell phone bill and I felt impressed to stop and talk to a man selling fruit on the side of the road. I told him I was a missionary for the church and then asked if he believed in Christ. "Claro" was his response. He then told me he was Evangelico. I asked hi if he believed in the Bible. He responded with another "Claro!". I then asked if he believed in the Book of Mormon (A very revealing question). He said he didn't know about the Book of Mormon. I thins asked if he believed Christ is the Savior of the whole world. Again, he responded "Claro!". I then taught and testified of the Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ. I left him with a pamphlet about the Book of Mormon and I plan on returning this week.

This work has been very challenging for us. The language is hard, the work is hard but we feel so blessed to be here. We don't mind hard when it comes with so many blessing.

Have another great week
Your friends
Hermana y Elder Borup



Our new friend at La Caleta. The kids loved using our goggles. They took turns but not always real willingly. 
We need one of these giraffes in our home in Utah 
We sang Christmas hymns today in Church. Did you?
One of our friends from church.
An old factory we pass on our way to and from church. We think it was an old Sugar plant because it is surrounded by sugar cane
Yep La Caleta again. If we bring a member it is fellow shipping right?
This is what La Caleta is all about.
The outfit wasn't complete without the cap!
Everybody loves the beach!
They were sitting behind us in church
Just trying to keep the sun out of his face.
Hermana Borup with her new shades at here desk in the office. She is the window dressing for the office.
Our new sunglasses we paid less than $5 total. I know it's hard to believe.
This sister was Baptized about 6 weeks ago. It's hard to come to church with kids but really hard when the Senior couple in front of you keeps distracting your kids.
He cut a hole in the cardboard just the right size. Nothing like portable shade!
Multi-zone activity, Elder Bateman didn't have tennis shoes so socks will do.
At a meeting for the 4 week training for new missionaries. They each have some of the famous "conference pan". For some reason the missionaries think it is good to eat a loaf of bread each before a meeting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricane Maria

SLOW DOWN!