Missing Hermana

I have to say this is the toughest time of our mission so far. Hermana Borup went home on Monday to be with McKenzie when she gives light ( a Spanish term)  to her firstborn. We have been apart before but who knew our longest separation would happen on our mission. We both felt like it was the right thing for her to do and felt like I should stay here and keep up our end of the bargain. So, of course, I am working twice as hard.

Before Hermana Borup left for Utah on Monday we visited a local market that is only open on Mondays. We think that it must travel from city to city. Most of the vendors sold clothes from very large bundles about the size of a man. You know those clothes you all donated for Haiti they found their way to the Markets of the Dominican Republic. Somewhere along the line, these vendors got a hold of these bundles of clothes (probably bought them) and now they unpack them and sell them in the markets here. I imagine the same thing goes on on the Haiti side of the island.  The vendor spreads out a piece of plastic and then unpacks the bundles into very general piles. Men's shirts in one pile, women's pants in another Etc. The Market is full of energy with vendors shouting to get the attention of the customer. AS you can see below I got a great deal on a cub scout hat. We had a lot of fun. We took some of the Hermana Missionaries with us.

This week was also Zone Conference. It was held in Bani. The President is having one conference for all the zones in the capital areas and one for all the zones in the South. We're in the South. It was a great break from the usual. They talked about our agency and showed a great video clip from Elder Bednar that talked about is giving up our free agency when we committed to follow Christ at our Baptism. It was very profound. After the conference, I drove some sisters back to their area in Elias PiƱa. It is the farthest area in the mission. It took close to 3 hours. I  loved practicing Spanish with 2 Hermanas that don{t speak much English and I loved seeing the beautiful countryside. A lot of produce comes from that area.

I am stilling performing some of my duties as the Financial Secretary. The main one I am doing is reimbursing missionaries for expenses that are not included in their usual support money, things like extra travel or medical expenses. One of my adventures this week was traveling to Neyba again so that the sisters there would have enough money to get to Zone Conference. The had used all their money just moving into their new area. I didn' have time to send it to them electronically so,  Since I needed to take a table to them any way I drove up to Neyba this week for the third week in a row.

The highlight of the week was the several chances that I got to go out with the missionaries teaching our neighbor and visiting other areas and meeting and teaching their investigators. I came away with a great respect for the missionaries. The conditions aren't the most ideal in most cases. There are loud motorcycles going by and there is loud music being played next door yet they teach with the spirit and those that they teach respond to the message. I have gained an increased faith in the power of the story of the restoration. I have always believed that the restoration of the Lord gospel is the central and most important message for missionaries to teach. I can say that when they are teaching it the Spirit is always strong no matter what is happening all around.

UNtil next time. I miss Hermana Borup, she is a great missionary companion. I can't wait until she gets to meet our new grandson.

Your friends
Hermana y Elder Borup
Best deal at the market. $1 for an almost new cub scout hat!
I took another drive to Neyba this week. This just past Neyba. It's called Lago Enriquillo. If you look close (really close) you can see the alligators.
Hands down the best deal in this country is a car wash. $4 for a car wash that is almost as good as a detail in the USA
If you zoom in you will notice that this is a missionaries house
Just out for a ride about 1/4 mile from our home.
My view after my swim this week. It was a little rougher than I like.
Here is a view of a missionary refridgerator. Only one broken shelf left. I didn't include the freezer portion. It was solid frost.
This what a happy missionary looks like. He spent several days in the hospital this week. (he had some bugs in his system that wouldn't go away) He's good now.
Saying goodby to some Elders after a great night of teaching.
An Elder from Guatemala. No, I'm not standing on a step
Just a curious boy in the neighborhood.
Dogs hanging out at the corner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricane Maria

SLOW DOWN!