The Change in Phone



This was the week of the big change. We had a round of farewell zone conferences for the past two weeks which concluded in one president leaving and another coming in. It is an amazing process to observe and to be a little part of. This week there were two more Multi-Zone conferences. President and Hermana Nuckols were focused on the work with just the right amount of attention to the obvious. They were saying goodbye also. The length of time between missionary transfers has been extended to 9 weeks instead of the usual 6 weeks due to the timing of the Mission President change. President Nuckols is using this increased time to create momentum during this change. He asked the missionaries to make this a transfer of miracles. The missionaries are excited about the challenge. The conference had a big focus on faith. I think this will be a wonderful transfer period. At one of the zone conferences the Assistants to the President (APs) recorded a testimony from a man who was baptized and then went through the Temple with his wife yesterday. This man had spent 15 years in prison. It was a highlight of President and Hermana Nuckols mission. They were able to attend the Sealing. 

Observing the Keys of the Priesthood change has always been one of the signs to me that the church is true. We had a chance to meet with Hermana and President Santos on Friday night, right after President Nuckols spent an hour with him and then passed on the "keys". In this case I think a phone is a better symbol. To me, the feeling of the authority change was almost visible. We were able to spend the next couple of hours with President and Hermana Santos and you could just see the mantle rest on them. I was given a sweet feeling that the mission is in good hands. No one can replace The Nuckols but that's not what the Lord needs right now. He doesn't need more of the same he needs the next. 

Another highlight of our week was that Lynette drove and she is still alive! The problem with that is that now she thinks she knows how to drive here so it gives her the freedom to give me advice. (mostly, "you didn't need to do that" or "that was rude")  We had a rule of no commenting on the driving because driving takes all your concentration. She has now made it a habit to break that rule. I try to remind here that missionaries need to be obedient. 

Yesterday we were able to go for a mountain bike ride with President Nuckols. He took us to a place about 15 minutes from here where there are ruins of a 500 year old plantation. He had ridden there before so he showed us this great loop. We did it a few times following him then I took the lead just to make sure we knew where we were going. The jungle is thick and easy to get lost. It was a very nice diversion for us. We haven't been on bikes for 6 or 7 weeks. Don't worry we have some on the way. 

With all the extra time we have spent at Zone Conference we have had extra long hours in the office. We got home around 7 each night. We ate and studied some Spanish and then went to bed. How's your Spanish you ask!. Wow this is hard, but we are making progress. I am quick to notice any improvement because I am sunshine and Hermana Borup is quick to point how we can never learn this language. Along with the sunshine there needs to be a little rain sometimes. (who recognizes those lyrics?) My proof of improvement is that I can now understand a few words from the Hermano at church that before I could not understand a single word from. Church is draining. It is total concentration to come away with about a 20% comprehension (optimistic I know). One of the difficulties for us going forward is that President and Hermana Santos are from Porto Rico. They speak just like Dominicans! Our level of urgency has now increased.

We feel so lucky to be serving here. The island is beautiful. The people are warm and friendly. No really that's not just something I say because I'm a missionary. They are really great. Two examples: we rented bikes from a guy who owns a shop. He gave me the bikes and told me to pay when I come back tomorrow. NO paperwork. no deposit, no copy of my passport, just "you can pay tomorrow".  When I brought them back it cost 500 Pesos each, which is about $10. Example 2: I went to Arronic priesthood today and the teacher would ask me questions. When I didn't understand he would ask slower and then wait for my response. I think he is about 23-25 years old. After, he told me that when he was on his mission he was a trainer for an Elder from the US and by the time he left him the new Elder could speak well. He then told me he would be my trainer. It makes me feel good just thinking about his kindness. I think he likes me being there because it's a diversion for the young men. They are all trying to help me also. 

We know this is a great work. Our call is to help people turn to Christ. We love doing it. Enjoy the pictures.

Hermana And President Nuckols saying goodbye.
The Assistants getting the new Presidents connected to the phones

The new President and the Assistants
President Nuckols is a really good rider. He is doing LOTOJA in September.

We took some Pictures on our way home from church. This was a rather mild Sunday. 

One of the many Rivers we cross

Little truck FULL of Mangos

Anything can be carried on a motorcycle. This is a honda supercub.


Who knows what is going to do with this. The truck is tiny. The wheels are the size of our scooter at home

Out for a Sunday drive

Big Mango Truck

Going 60 mph

Chickens going to market

I have seen someone carrying longer galvanized pipes

Guess???

Who's Next? 

I Am! If this doesn't look good, How about the green water behind it?

The name of this tree is Flamboyant. It seems to fit. 

More Mangoes

Taxis at a main intersection. They won't take off until they are full.

Typical intersection with car to car vendors. This is a very tranquilo day.

Many of these motorcycles are moto-taxis. a cheap way to get around if your not a missionary.

Comments


  1. Buen día hermano y hermano Borup. Te amamos y nos encanta leer sobre tus aventuras de misión.

    Sentir el amor,

    Los dineros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias, me encanta las palabras/los cuentos (stories), especialmente de la gente alli. Y de Lynette por supuesto jejeje. Esta' bien que ella tiene un poco de sol con su lluvia :-) Abrazos, Kim Hanagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say it was more like she's a little bit country and you're a little bit rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say it was more like she's a little bit country and you're a little bit rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricane Maria

SLOW DOWN!